Saturday, July 15, 2006

dang, it's hot

Last week, my radiator hit the boiling point and I had to shell out big bucks to have the cooling system fixed. Now the air conditoning system isn't working, either. This is the wrong time of the year for the a/c to blow warm air. It's 92 degrees in the shade outside my bedroom window and the humidity feels like 92 percent. Driving around this afternoon I feared the tires would melt into the pavement due to having to stop at every traffic signal. Both windows down and the moon roof open, and it still felt like being inside a microwave oven.

Our daughter is home from San Francisco, where it never seems to get much above 60 degrees, and she wanted to use my car. We didn't coordinate our schedules very well. I didn't get back from running errands before she had to leave, so she was forced to hitch a ride with a friend whose air conditioning works, we hope. It's more fun to drive yourself to a reunion but it is also more fun not to smell like a horse after you arrive.

I've lived in Florida's hellish heat and humidity for most of my life. Maybe, one of these days, I'll get used to it. Maybe the City of Clearwater will synchronize its traffic signals, too. Maybe it will snow tonight, too.

No comments: