Monday, July 17, 2006

car maintenance - getting tired

There are some stories I shouldn't tell on myself because they make me look like an "idjit." But I'll share this one with you because it may save you some time and money some day.

Our daughter - our West Coast daughter - was home for the weekend. She was driving our new(er) car. Because (unlike her parents) she hadn't gotten used to the "feel" of it again, she noticed something we hadn't noticed. It was drifting to the right. Aha, we thought. It must be the old front-end alignment.

I took it to my garage this morning. I got there early because I'd taken our daughter to Tampa International even earlier. Told him my story. Could be the front-end alignment, I said knowingly. Or it could be the tire, he said.

It was the tire. The right front tire, which had five pounds less air than the left front tire, which naturally makes it want to drift to the right.

Well, as long as you have it, go ahead and change the oil, I said.

At the end of the day the report was, you also need brakes on the front end, he said. Since we are going out of town and I don't like to wait for trouble to come to me, the brake job will be next on the list. Tomorrow. And on Wednesday the other car is due to have the air conditioner repaired.

Sheesh. These are maintenance-free cars, for the most part, but our long hot summer is wearing them down as much as it is wearing their owners down.

No comments: