Wednesday, July 19, 2006

car maintenance - a "whew" experience this time

Today it was time for my car's air conditioning system to get the fishy eyeball from the guys at a shop who repair a/c systems for a living.

I knew this was going to cost me, big time. In the good old days, the mechanic would say it needs a can or two of Freon and that would keep it going for the rest of the summer. Now they don't use Freon and they are smart enough to say there's some reason why your system lost so much of the refrigerant gas. That's the cue for saying that you need a new compressor or condensor or evaporator, or some other odd part they haven't sold enough of lately. . .none of which is cheap. . .plus labor and taxes.

You can imagine my shock upon getting the expected bad-news phone call this morning. The shock was, it wasn't bad news. My a/c is fully charged and working fine, and was blowing cold air. Their best guess was, when the fans for my radiator conked out, that also affected the a/c system. Because I learned long ago that you don't run the a/c when it is low on Freon or whatever they use nowadays, and because I assumed that was why the a/c was blowing warm air, I hadn't given it a chance to prove itself after getting the radiator fixed.

The price for all their trouble: $16.00 including tax.

It is good to know where honest mechanics are. They could have sold me $400 worth of repairs today and I wouldn't have known the difference. Come to think of it, the garage that gave me five pounds of air for a tire on Monday could have sold me a front-end alignment and my ignorance would have been bliss.

Next time I have a problem, I know who to see.

No comments: