Wednesday, November 09, 2005

city elections, and the results are in

We had an election in our fair city today, and you can go here to read all about it:
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/09/Southpinellas/_A_city_united___Bake.shtml
I make it a strict rule not to talk about work for the obvious reason. I like my job too much to consider an alternative. But: This is the fourth city I've worked for in my checkered career. The other three -- when I started working for them -- had elected officials who were good, solid, "center field" people who understood good government and tried to act responsibly. In all three cases they were replaced by people who drifted into left field, jumped the wall and went to straight to hell, dragging the concept of good government with them, while I was there or shortly after I left. I was beginning to take it personally, as though it was my fault somehow. But tonight's election reversed that trend. A good mayor was re-elected. Time will tell if a good city council will be even better but the writing is on the wall and it is encouraging.

No comments: