Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Christmas already?

I was thinking today that I'm ready for the Christmas season this year -- but not the kind that comes in stores. Maybe it's a desire to retreat from the world after one helluva year of hurricanes, floods, Tsunamis, tornadoes, earthquakes, and war.

Tonight I heard and saw the first Christmas commercial on TV this season. I'm not ready for this. I'm not ready for sleigh bells, if I'm not riding an actual sleigh. I'm not ready for anything they sell in Wal-Mart that's colored red and green. I'm definitely not ready to hear even one more rendition of Andy Williams' "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," one of the most insipid songs by one of the most insipid singers.

The one thing that gets me into the Christmas spirit without fail is to read Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." It is not a religious book, but Dickens understood what it's all about. I think our political and business leaders ought to be compelled to read it again, too. If they would learn what old Scrooge learned, this could be a better world.

No comments: