Saturday, August 13, 2005

Charley's anniversary

People outside of Florida may be unaware, but this is the first anniversary of Hurricane Charley. Charley was aimed directly at our house until, without warning, it took a right-hand turn, rolled over Punta Gorda, and cut across the state. I should have said, rolled Punta Gorda over. They have empty buildings and busy construction crews at work even today. I do mean "cut" across. Imagine the power it takes to snap a tall, mature pine tree like a match stick, or roll a mobile home over and leave it like a crushed can.

Our newspaper had a story this morning about the bravado being expressed today by fools who think "they never come here" and last year's evacuation warnings were "false alarms." I truly hope they live the remainder of their lives seeing no proof to the contrary.

At least I'm prepared for the next one. If the power goes out again and stay out like last time, I can brew coffee on the gas grill with my new, campfire-style coffee percolator. I just hope the gas grill stays where we left it and doesn't end up on the bottom of the swimming pool.

No comments: