Thursday, May 26, 2005

here's hoping

I am about to upgrade my computer from Windows 98se to Windows 2000 so I can use an iPod. I'm getting conflicting advice about whether to spring for Windows XP, but I have this installation disk for Win 2000 Professional handy and I'm saving my money for a digital underwater camera. I'm going to back up everything I can, then attempt a "dirty" installation so as not to lose too many programs. If that chokes, I will wipe the hard drive clean and do a "clean" install, then re-install the programs I have installation disks for. If that doesn't work I will either go get Windows XP, or kiss the camera goodbye for another year and buy a computer with XP already installed.

A few observations here: (1) At first, I thought the failure of iPod to work on Win 98 was Apple's revenge on PC users until I realized how much money Apple is forcing PC users to spend on Microsoft products. No, we aren't migrating to Apple just for the sake of a portable music player. (2) Market saturation of personal computers in the U.S. is now complete. Americans who do not have a computer now will never buy one because they are too dang much trouble. (3) The old saying, "If everything works perfectly, it is time to upgrade," proves itself true again.

I once converted a 486 computer running Windows 3.1 into a Linux machine. It took hours and hours. It worked, but when it worked it was like watching paint dry. If I didn't think of it as a hobby it would have been a total waste of time.

Wish me luck on this conversion. Who knows when I will be able to access Blogger again?

1 comment:

Al said...

I haven't started the conversion yet. I made and finished off a pitcher of margaritas and decided to save that project for tomorrow (Saturday). Year before last, it looked like there was some possibility the Cubs could have met the Red Sox in the World Series. That would have been good for baseball, and good for America. I was hoping that would happen. I hoped it would get down to the seventh game and they would call it a tie after 27 innings. That never happened. :(