Sunday, May 15, 2005

if it's Saturday I must be in Home Depot

But not this Saturday. Instead, I bought a new garage door opener at the local Genie dealer. I love garage door openers almost as much as remote controls on TV sets. This is my third one and I installed the other two myself, so who needs to spend 70 bucks on an installation charge? I refuse to admit how many hours I spent on this project. For 70 bucks I wasn't paying myself minimum wage by the time I finished. That's OK. I needed a project that I could do with my hands and take pride in when it's over and done with. I spend my normal working days reading, writing, thinking, talking, and sometimes arguing, not necessarily in that order. My hands have no calluses. Rarely can I point to something at the end of the day and say, "I did that." Removing an old garage door opener and installing a new one is a good thing to do. The work requires all the home repair skills a man needs to know except plumbing. The new opener is quieter and smoother, and has electric-eye sensors inches off the floor that stop the door if something is blocking the path. The remote doesn't work, yet, but I had to leave something to do tomorrow.

p.s. -- Does anybody need about 14 feet of old bicycle chain?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO. THROW IT OUT.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Megan- she & Colin spent a long time getting the garage in decent shape, and you don't need to clutter it up with old bicycle chain!