Monday, June 06, 2005

back on line again

I refuse to admit how long it took me to upgrade the operating system on my computer, a task made necessary by the gift of an iPod Mini. I installed Windows 2000 Professional over Win 98, hoping not to lose a few old programs I can't find the installation disks for. They survived the installation. But I can't find the disk for my fairly new HP printer. I've tried to download the drivers from HP's web site without success. The installation goes so far, then fails with no explanation whatever. I also lost my favorite places in Internet Explorer but I'm going to start using Mozilla anyway so they were in jeopardy of being lost.

But the important thing is, I got my iPod functional. That's a different painful story. I think Apple has sabotaged their software for PC users to make it less functional. How, for example, do you delete a song from your iPod? If you have home-made disks, like I have, consisting of songs I bought on line, why is it necessary for me to type the titles and artists' names in manually, and how do you do that efficiently? Ah, well. Tomorrow I'm spending the day on a big jet plane and I'm ready to listen to a little Ray Charles, a lot of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with stellar county performers ("Will the Circle be Unbroken"), a touch of jazz (Weather Report), and a half-ton of oldies. Life could be worse.

1 comment:

megan said...

did you get your printer working yet? call HP customer support if you are still having trouble. i'm sure they can help.