Friday, September 03, 2004

The Republicans convened

The Grand Old Party had a convention in the Big Apple this week, and I missed it. Missed every bit of it. I once took pride in myself for being a Democrat who voted Republican when they had the better candidate, but ever since Newt Gingrich's Contract on America and the takeover of the G.O.P. by the Righteous Right, I've given that up. I come from a line of Republicans, understand, except Mom was the black sheep who married a Democrat, voted Democrat, and argued with her brother at the drop of a hat. Her mother once tried to vote straight party ticket. . . straight Republican ticket, that is. . . in a primary election. This was in the days of the "new" voting booths with the flip-down levers and the big lever that opened and closed the big green curtain behind you. Nobody knows what she did but I think she had the right idea. Voting straight ticket saves a lot of mental effort. Voting straight Democratic ticket is going to be emotionally satisfying this fall, regardless of the outcome.

No comments: