Sunday, September 19, 2004

dive, dive!

We went on our first open water dive this morning, in a sinkhole in Hudson, FL. I've been in sinkholes in North Florida and expected to see the effects of tannic acid, which gives water an iced-tea color, but what we saw today was more like day-old coffee with a touch of cream. Visibility just below the surface was maybe ten feet. On the platform (22 feet down) I could see my hand in front of my face. Problem was, my instructor had to get in my face to give me the hand signals to do the various skill exercises like clearing the mask and buddy-breathing. I couldn't even see my buddy -- it's a good thing she didn't need help from me! After the initial descent, things got easier but not clearer. Good news: I stayed relaxed the whole time once I cleared my ears (hey, I'm breathing, I can see the surface, no gators or other obnoxious critters, so why not relax?). Next time: Take a good underwater light. My instructor's 24-year-old eyes can see in the dark better than mine. I borrowed a light and got to see the rock formation -- a vertical wall of limestone with nooks and crannies. On a hot sunny day, in warm water, a fun thing to do.

No comments: