Monday, August 16, 2004

trying to reason. . .

It took the St. Petersburg Times only 72 hours to publish the first letter criticizing the National Weather Service for not predicting the path of Hurricane Charley any more precisely than it did. I seldom write letters to editors any more but that one set me off. I pointed out that a hurricane is a tornado with a forty-mile diameter that can stop, go around in a circle, and go off in a different direction. I respect hurricanes like I respect lightning and alligators, all of which are unpredictable and deadly. Any fool who doesn't understand that should go back to Milwaukee or wherever he came from. I wasn't that blunt in my letter, but should have been.

We had Earl churning across down there for awhile, but old Earl has disintegrated. This is not the time to relax, yet. The really nasty hurricanes tend to arrive in September.

I need to find a lighter subject to write about.



No comments: