Thursday, August 26, 2004

Scuba doobie doo

My last posts have been entirely too "heavy." Time to lighten up! I went Scuba diving last night for the first time in. . .a long time. OK, it was in an indoor pool, not in the Gulf, but the last time I took lessons the other dive shop closed before I finished the course and I never got certified, so I'm starting from scratch again. It is good to be able to examine the bottom of a pool and breathe at the same time. Last time, I got in one ocean dive on an artificial reef in about 50 feet of depth off of Boca Raton before taking a break for surgery. I remember the underwater scene like it happened yesterday - the fish, the barracuda, the urchins on the bottom, the barracuda, the reef, the barracuda - I learned the barracuda are like the instructor said: Unless you are trying to stick your finger in its mouth, a barracuda won't hurt you. You swim towards them, they back up. You back up, they swim towards you. They like to maintain a "zone" like some people I know. But there were no barracuda in the pool. Instead, we had one helluva lighting storm outside. The instructor worried that he might need his wet suit, mask, and air tank for his ride home on his motorcycle but it slacked off to a drizzle. Fun! More on this later. . .

1 comment:

megan said...

yayay! you are back in the pool! that's GREAT NEWS! i hope this means surgery worked and you are feeling better?