Thursday, August 19, 2004

Olympics: Oh, shut up

In case I didn't express my contempt for the commentators strongly enough, let me try again: If the Olympics are represented by a statue, the commentators are the ass end of it. Last night, after Paul Hamm made a sitzplatz in front of the judges, the disgusted commentators were ready to drive him to the airport. "He will remember this moment for a long time," said one. "For the rest of his life," said the other. I turned off the TV and went to bed, missing what may be the greatest comeback in all of sports history. This morning, the local sportswriter gushed so effusively in his first 20 or so paragraphs I had to turn back to page 6 of the sports section to see what happened. The story concluded by saying Hamm's accomplishment "belongs to all of us." No, it doesn't. It belongs to Hamm, who hung in when it all seemed finished. The rest of us are mere spectators, not counting those of use who went to bed early.

No comments: