Wednesday, August 20, 2008

through a glass, not quite so darkly

I want to report to my small handful of faithful readers that my eye surgery yesterday "appears" to have been quite successful.

After seeing the world through glasses (1st grade) and contact lenses (10th grade), my left eye now sees through a crystalens® implant. The crystalens® is a synthetic lens that flexes and "accommodates" like a natural lens. (Note that ® symbol - I wouldn't have bothered but it was just too easy to cut it and paste it.)

It was painless, absolutely painless. The only hard part was waiting longer than I wanted to wait before being wheeled into the operating room. They gave me a sort of "twilight" anaesthetic that relaxed me and let me see and hear everything, and talk. I might have preferred a couple of shots of Scotch and a stick to bite on, but what they gave me was much better. All I could see were a few lights overhead. I knew things were happening with my eye but there wasn't much to do but look at the lights. It was over in a matter of minutes.

Last night I was feeling anxiety because what I could see was blurry. They said to expect blurriness, halos around lights, and double vision for awhile. I was seeing triple vision while watching the Rays beat the Angels. Outside, the street light gave off rays of light. A photographer knows what a star lens does - I was seeing stars. My eye was dilated and it took more than 36 hours for my iris to begin getting back to normal.

Today, the blurriness has cleared up somewhat. I'm still getting some double vision. Looking at letters on the computer monitor, I see a ghost image behind and below the letters, which contributes to the blurriness. I think the dilation contributes to that, and I'm expecting the dilation to be gone tomorrow. Tonight, the street lights no longer look like stars. They still have halos, sort of like seeing them through a light fog, but nothing at all like last night.

I am amazed, grateful, happy. . .and not nearly as anxious. I think this is going to turn out just fine. I may need reading glasses to read with, but if that's the only problem, I can definitely live with that!

No comments: