Monday, August 18, 2008

Fay, Fay, go away

You know you are in Florida when your eye surgery is scheduled on a Tuesday and the sixth named tropical storm of the season boils up, threatening to force a postponement. I never ask much from poor Cuba but I am happy to report that the Cuban mountains have rearranged Hurricane Fay, breaking up its eye and sending most of the bad weather off on a tangent. Fay, Fay, just go away. Tomorrow may be a blustery day in our corner of Paradise but not enough to postpone my surgery.

You know you are in Florida when your Key Lime tree begins producing ripe limes, although it is early in the season and the first ripe ones are about the size of marbles.

You know you are in Florida when your swimming pool turns green and remains green after you've cleaned the filter and added four jugs of liquid chlorine. I'm going to have to get serious about chemical warfare on the algae right after the storm blows by.

Speaking of chemical warfare, my lawn is not as green as my swimming pool, and it ought to be green after all the rain we've had. The lawn is showing signs of being eaten by something. I sprayed it with a heavy dose of Dursban, and if that doesn't do the trick, I will have to search through my stash of chemicals and try something else.

Back to that eye surgery: I reminded the folks at work of the adage that, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is King." The doctor is doing my left eye tomorrow, and when I return to work I expect to be treated like royalty!

No comments: