Tuesday, November 21, 2006

got it

Got the new TV -- a 42-inch Panasonic plasma TV. It took me all evening to set it up, mainly because I had to disassemble everything connected to the old set (DVD player, tape player, receiver, speakers) to make room for it. All that fun stuff was assembled several Christmases ago when our M.I.T. students were home for the holidays. I don't think they even looked at the manuals. Now I have to wait until the end of next week for the cable company's tech guy to come around and install the HD digital box. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Panasonic-TH-42PX6U.htm

This isn't billed as a 1080p set, but the specifications say it is compatible with 1080i and 1080p with an HDMI device connected to it.

I have no idea what that means. I'll figure it out shortly. I need a new hobby anyway and this TV may become my next one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All that 1080i and 1080p mumbo jumbo has to do with the resolution of the television. It works much the same way as the scrren resolution of your computer monitor. The bigger the dimensions the more pixels can be on display at once. All (most)over the air and cable HD are broadcast in 1080i. So you're golden. The difference between 1080i and 1080p is the "i" stands for interlaced. (your tv produces content at every other line at that resolution - don't worry it still looks great) the "p" stands for progressive scan where every line of content is displayed at once. Only HD-DVD players and PS3 (blu-ray) display at 1080p. Bottom line nice TV!!! I'll get one sooner rather than later I hope.