Wednesday, September 28, 2005

thank God for small things

Years ago I heard the then-mayor of Jacksonville tell a group of Methodist men that he believed God answers small prayers - like, for example, an empty parking space in front of the courthouse when you are about to be late for a hearing. I've never bought that, because God usually acts like the Cosmic Clockmaker. . .wind it up, turn it loose, sit back, and see what happens. But, tonight, I am thinking of a few things to be grateful for. Whether God had anything to do with it remains to be seen. In no particular order:

* A lawsuit against my city that I am defending has been dismissed by a federal judge. The plaintiff gets another chance, but for the moment, the pressure between my eyes has eased considerably.

* Representative Tom DeLay (R) has been indicted. He is accused of conspiring to violate a Texas ban on the use of corporate money by state political candidates, by funneling thousands in corporate contributions through the Republican National Committee. He is innocent, he says, of course. The prosecutor is described as a partisan (read: Democratic) fanatic, which the prosecutor denies, of course. I'm always happy to see pompous, self-righteous fat cats do the "perp walk."

* My fantasy football team, which I did not actually select, is 3 - 0 and leading the league, due to no talent or skill on my part, absolutely none.

* The Bucs are 3- 0 due to the talent and skill of several rookies and second year players.

* The Devil Rays have lately discovered they are a major league baseball team. Since the All Star break, they are winning more than losing. News of their breaking .500 for half a season actually brought tears to the eyes of Lou Piniella, who unfortunately will be either fishing or managing a better team next year.

* The Seminoles are 3 - 0 (2 - 0 in the ACC).

* The Gators, Seminoles, and Hurricanes are ranked 5, 6, and 9 in the AP Top Ten.

* The old Romans were correct: If the citizens are restive, distract them with sports. Federal litigation and the indictment of politicians are "sports."

* I've found a pair of earbuds for my iPod that fit my ears. Jeez, what a difference in sound quality. Anybody want the earbuds that came with my iPod, which are designed for the ears of a mule?

* We got some rain today. Tough question: If God gets credit for rain, which he usually does, who gets credit for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita?

No comments: