Thursday, September 22, 2005

look, Ma, I'm flying!

I've learned a new way to view the world, right here on my home computer.

Google Earth.

At first, it looks like one of those screen savers with an Earth photo. Zoom in, and it begins to look like MapQuest using satellite photos. Then you discover "tilt," and suddenly you are flying. Land features rise up in 3-D. So do buildings in major cities to a limited extent, not as dramatically as hills and valleys.

I found our house in Clearwater and saw a large oak tree that became history about 18 months ago, dating the picture. I typed in the first address I had to memorize as a five-year-old in Louisville and it took me to the right block. I think the house with the brown roof was where we lived. Somebody's added a detached garage. Next, I tried various family addresses. The 3-D effect is very good in Boston and San Francisco.

But, I had to fly. I flew up and down Zion Canyon, where I once spent a summer pumping gas, and the Grand Canyon, which I've seen from the north rim. I found the town in Germany where I was stationed for two years. The resolution is too low to make out buildings but the hills and valleys are wonderful. Naturally I had to fly over the Alps and on to Venice, back through France, and up to Scotland.

I'm going to be flying in my dreams tonight.

No comments: