Sunday, August 29, 2010

Recovering, slowly

My trip to the hospital, three weeks ago, left me feeling like I'd been run over by a cement mixer, but beginning the second day after the surgery, every day has been just a little better than the day before.

The night of the surgery I was in La-La Land thanks to heavy-duty anesthetics and pain killers, but I was conscious enough to know I'd had five by-passes. The next night was a trip through hell because of the drainage tubes in my chest that prevented me from lying comfortably, and a rapid and irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation). I just knew I was lying across a two-by-four and that was causing the a-fib. I finally got to sleep some time after 3:30 a.m.

The next day, the second day after surgery, they removed the drainage tubes and things got much, much better. In fact, every day since has been better than the day before! I started walking while in the hospital and practiced inhaling through a gizmo with a blue "float" to expand my lungs back to normal and avoid pneumonia.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .

1 comment:

Out of My Mind said...

Thanks for posting. I suspect that I'm not the only one following your blog that has been waiting to hear, wondering how things were going. Nice to read that you're recovering well.