Saturday, January 31, 2009

death of Google? maybe not yet, but -

Earlier today it seemed that Google, the source of nearly everything I know, had shot itself in the head. For awhile, if you went into Google and entered any search, no matter what for, you got this message: "warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer."

As a test, I searched for the two major daily newspapers in the Tampa Bay area and then searched for "mapquest," and got the same result. For fun, when I searched for "google.com" using Google, it appeared there, too!

The main problem was that you couldn't go forward and take your chances. You had to go back and try again, which failed for the same reason. You had to wonder if someone had hacked Google and caused this to happen.


I don't know who Google's competitors are, but they just got a major boost. This may have been a temporary glitch, but I'm looking for a good alternative.

No comments: