Monday, November 03, 2008

thank God it's almost over

After 20-plus months of campaigning, the presidential election will be over and done with tomorrow, thank God.

I know why so many Americans voted early. After voting, they can believe that the campaigns are finished and they can turn their attention elsewhere, immune from all of the lies and bull manure that has been slung during the campaign. I didn't vote early. I didn't want to allow them more time to lose my ballot. I'll be in line tomorrow morning, and it should be a short line. But as far as I'm concerned, the campaign ended weeks ago. It's all over but the shouting.

No matter who wins, here's the best part: George W. Bush has 77 days left in office. That's eleven weeks. I think he should pack up and move back to Texas the day after the election.

And here's another good part: No matter who wins, the winner will be able to move into the White House on schedule. Unlike other parts of the world, we don't have armies staging coups.

My wish is this, and I know my four regular readers don't need to be told this because their mother taught them better: I wish all Americans would accept the results of the election and move on, vowing to try again in four years if their candidate lost, and not engage in the acidic, venomous, hateful criticism that has passed for political discussion in the post-Reagan era.

That's my wish, for whatever it's worth.



No comments: