Thursday, October 16, 2008

losers: fickle Fenway fans

Tonight, with the Rays ahead of the Red Sox 7 - 0 in the top of the 7th inning, we were treated to the sorry spectacle of "fans" leaving Fenway. I was shouting at the TV set: "The Red Sox are only down by seven! They can do this!"

They did it, all right, winning 8 - 7 in the bottom of the ninth. Aaargh!

I can say two things: (1) I like and respect the Sox too much to see them lose the way they were losing, and I'm glad they did it. (2) I hope the "fans" who bailed out early are still kicking themselves in the rear for missing one of the most exciting comebacks in baseball history. Never, ever, leave a game early unless you are pregnant and your labor pains have started.

Next game: Saturday, the 18th, in St. Petersburg (not in Tampa, as the announcers said). They will be back in the much-maligned Trop, where the Rays have done well, and I'm still predicting the Rays will be the next AL champions.

No comments: