Saturday, November 17, 2007

simplicity

"Simplicity is knowing when less is too little and more is too much. Simplicity = Sanity."

I found that statement in a YouTube movie, which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHgu0ZYYZc

I've become a teacher of legal writing, at least to the extent of presenting papers to local government lawyers on the topic of writing land development regulations. A primary objective of legal writers is to make what you write understandable. If something can be misunderstood, it will be, especially if it suits someone's purpose to appear confused. Write clearly. Brevity is the essence of clarity.

I don't know the source of the quotation, above, but I'd like to use it if I revise my paper on legal writing. Knowing when to stop writing and start chopping surplusage from your sentences is an important task for any writer.

For example, knowing when to stop writing this blog entry is important.

Like, right here would be a good time to stop . . . right after I go back and cut out a few unnecessary words . . . OK, I'm done now.

No comments: