Thursday, February 16, 2006

watching the Olympics

I'm "into" the Winter Olympics.

My favorite event is the Alpine downhill, naturally. I have vivid memories of my limited time on the green and blue slopes of Buttermilk Mountain (a/k/a the "bunny slopes") but I can imagine what these skiers and seeing and thinking as they hurtle downhill. Good news: Bode Miller is no longer news. Couldn't the guy have at least pretended to have cared?

My second favorite event, believe it or not, is curling. I can't believe this game is an Olympic event. . .is badminton a Summer Olympics event? But after watching for a couple of nights (why does the network give curling prime time?), I am getting hooked. The players don't look like "jocks." They look like engineers, very serious engineers. The winners will take home Olympic medals of the same size and color as every other winner, without breaking a sweat. It looks like an event they must play at M.I.T. Sure enough, I see that M.I.T. has a curling club with its own web site. http://web.mit.edu/curling/www/ Tonight we saw women curling - no, not hairdressers, but women who look like engineers, only prettier, especially the Swedes. The NBC commentators are doing a lousy job of explaining what we are seeing, however. I have no idea how you score a point in curling.

My least favorite sport? Skating. I like the skaters but the commentators ruin it. The other night, the female member of the NBC commentating team actually said one of the skaters deserved to be choked for whatever the guy had done. Choked? I think NBC is choking in a sea of verbal air pollution. Shut up, please, and let us listen to the music.

Gotta go watch the snowboarders. . .these guys are certifiable lunatics but they put on a great show!

No comments: