Saturday, December 31, 2005

happy new year, y'all

May 2006 be better than 2005.

I say that every year.

On the night of December 31, 1999, as the final year of the 20th Century approached, I fully believed the prospects for world peace were better than ever. The Berlin Wall was gone, the Pope had visited Cuba, and things just seemed to be headed in the direction of peace and stability. What a fool I was.

As we speak, there is one more tropical storm (Zeta) out there in the Atlantic somewhere, reminding us that our future and safety are not as much within our control as we would like to believe. I don't need to remind anyone that a great many people foolishly believe that bombing and killing will achieve something good. And, we have nearly three long years until the next presidential election.

Even so, as I think of my family and our extended family, which was extended even further in June, I can't help but think that 2005 was a very good year for us personally, and 2006 holds a lot of promise to be good or better. Please, God, may I not be fooled again!

No comments: