Saturday, December 10, 2005

Christmas trees

We've been slow getting the house ready for Christmas this year but we do have the tree up with lights on it. Last year we had a tree that seemed good when we bought it but looked puny in the house. This year we got one that seems to have grown on the way home from the lot. It is big and beautiful, and probably the heaviest one ever; I had to run out and get a bigger stand. I would put a photo here, if I had a digital camera. :(

We have good friends whose tree fell over after they decorated it, which reminded me of a story about my Aunt D., in Kentucky. She is the sole survivor of my parents' generation and I know why: Few things bother her. She has the belief, proven true after a lifetime of experience, that "things will work out," so why fret? She's not starry-eyed or naive. She raised seven children successfully. But there was one time when her kids were little and Uncle H. could not get their Christmas tree to stand up. It kept falling over and Uncle H. was cussing a blue streak. This was in the days when a tree stand was two pieces of crossed wood nailed to the bottom of the tree, and you also need to know they had hardwood floors. Aunt D. finally had her fill of the commotion and she came in with a hammer and a nail. Wham, wham, wham. "That'll fix the damned thing," she said.

The replacement camera should be here in a week and I'll put up a photo of our tree. The new camera looks like a shrunken version of my old camera, which was beginning to look like a brick compared with what's on the market now. I have no idea what to do with 7.2 megapixels. The old one took photos with 2.1 megapixels when I set it to take the highest resolution, which I seldom did.

No comments: