Thursday, July 07, 2005

on seeing your daughters turn 30

We aren't old enough for this. Our twins weren't born that long ago and their mother and I aren't old enough to have children that old. But they were, and we are, and they've celebrated one of those birthdays with a zero in it. Good news: They won't have to worry about such a traumatic event for another ten years.

When they were six months old I met a father of six-year-old twin boys who said he felt sorry for me. It doesn't get better, he said. It only gets different. He was wrong. It got different, for sure, but it always got better. Daughters are great; twin girls as good as ours are more than twice as great.

When I turned thirty I'd finished law school, and I had a job with the state legislature that seemed like a good job at the time. Our twins have finished college. One then earned a master's degree while the other completed the requirements to become an R.N. Both have jobs which are much more valuable to our society than the job I had. They are sweet and caring young ladies who know how to enjoy life, too. I am sure my parents were proud of me, but they couldn't have been prouder than their mother and I are of our little girls.

No comments: