Friday, December 18, 2009

Five down, THREE to go

Well, nuts. I've been counting down the chemo treatments from the beginning and, according to the schedule, next Tuesday should be my sixth and final treatment.

Not so fast.

Yesterday, the doctor apologized for not telling me the last time we met that I should have eight, not six, treatments. He is concerned because the "pet" scan showed a minute trace of cancer cell activity in the bone marrow - so minute that it wasn't detected when the lab first saw the scan results, but did show up when they were testing a more sophisticated and sensitive machine.

So, instead of being done by Christmas, I'll be done on (or about) February 1.

Meanwhile, I feel fine despite having low white cell and red cell counts during the first 10 - 14 days after each treatment. I'm confident I will feel a helluva lot better when my body finally rids itself of the chemicals but I'm grateful that the chemicals rid my body of active cancer cells.

Stayed tuned . . .

No comments: