Friday, September 11, 2009

random thoughts on a Friday

A few random thoughts while waiting until it's time to leave for a doctor's appointment:

I've been driving my Corvette for a month, now, and it has changed my driving habits in a couple of respects.

The dashboard gives me a readout of my gas mileage, both average and "instantaneous." The instantaneous readout is very instructive. Everybody should have one. It teaches you to drive as if you have a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal if you are concerned about getting good gas mileage. I've learned that fuel consumption is worst when you are starting from a dead stop, so no jack-rabbit starts for me. The rate improves, somewhat, driving on city streets. Once you are up to highway speed, it really gets much better. If I ease up on the pedal, the rate jumps to 55 mpg or greater. Because my overall average is about 20 mpg, driving a route that's part city streets and part Interstate Highway, that's impressive!

However, once I'm up to speed, I no longer appreciate being passed by fools driving clunkers or pick-up trucks with the pedal down unless I happen to be driving slow and cool on purpose. I especially do not appreciate being passed on the right by somebody "slalom-skiing" down the highway, or being boxed in by truckers and slow-pokes. If there's empty space between me and the car in front, it is there for a reason and I don't appreciate someone trying to fill it. I used to tolerate such behavior on the road, but now it is comforting to know I can leave such fools behind in a cloud of dust by goosing the gas pedal. In fact, I've done it, and it is very satisfying!

Changing subjects:

When I heard that the Congressman who called President Obama a liar was a Republican from South Carolina, I was not surprised. He's now the poster boy for the Republican Party, which seems to have nothing constructive to say on any issue but simply stands about, arms folded, hoping our President fails. The GOP has been veering to the extreme far right, headed for the cliff, ever since President "Tricky Dick" ("I am not a crook") Nixon and his band of rogues.

About that doctor's appointment: I have had a swollen ankle, going all the way up the leg, with a rash on the back of the leg, for two weeks. My doctor at first thought it might be an infection or a blood clot, but ruled them out. Now, her diagnosis is shingles, but without the typical symptoms of shingles. I am going to see her today for another look and possibly a new diagnosis. I hope she can at least get the swelling down. I'm tired of sitting about with my leg up, or feeling guilty when I'm at work and can't sit that way. I'm grateful my Corvette has automatic transmission because I no longer need to work a clutch pedal with my left foot.

Enough of this; it's time to see the doc.

No comments: