Friday, April 24, 2009

I'm going to miss Pontiac

The news is that GM is going to drop the Pontiac model in its entirety.

I'm going to miss it. As a kid, the Pontiac was a step up from the Chevrolets my parents drove. The distinctive Indian head logo you'd see in a garage needed no words of explanation.

I owned only one Pontiac, a Catalina. Our neighbor said they weren't as good as they used to be, but we got good service out of it. I used it to drive our twins home from the hospital, and we took it to Boca Raton when we moved from Tallahassee.

The Pontiac GTO was the first muscle car, with an 8-cylinder engine. The Beach Boys sang about their "little GTO." So did a group named Ronny and the Daytonas.

I'll miss it, but considering I haven't bought one since 1975, I'm not shocked they are closing their doors for good.

No comments: