Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Charlie Chan

I've been hanging around with a low grade fever and a touch of bronchitis for a couple of days. I went to work today and will go tomorrow on the theory that spreading the germs will allow them to leave me sooner. Meanwhile, I've been watching Charlie Chan movies.

Charlie Chan had a aphorism for every situation, whether it was his honorable son-in-law calling from the hospital to report on the status of Charlie's about to become a grandfather, or advice to his Number One or Number Two sons, or a retort to a police officer who wanted to move too hastily.

Naturally, using Google, you can find them all. Here are a few of my favorite Charlie Chan aphorisms from the two movies I saw tonight and a couple I want to see:

Magnifying female charms very ancient optical illusion. (Charlie Chan at the Circus, to his Number One son)

One ounce of experience worth ton of detective books. (Charlie Chan at the Circus, to his son)

Ancient ancestor once say, "As mind is fed with silent thought, so should body absorb its food." (Charlie Chan in Honolulu)

Opinion like tea leaf in hot water - both need time for brewing. (Charlie Chan in Honolulu)

Waiting for tomorrow waste of today. (Charlie Chan in Egypt)




No comments: