Monday, February 25, 2008

federal tax refund blues

One of these days I'll be getting one of those federal tax refunds. According to Prez Bush, who has only 47 weeks left in office, we are supposed to give the national economy a big shot in the arm by. . . uh, rushing out to spend it. Yes, we can all go to Wal-Mart or one of the other big chain retailers and load up our shopping carts with more products made in China.

Yessiree, that will do the old economy a lot of good.

My first thought was to put it in the savings account, the one from which I withdrew money last year to pay my federal income tax bill. That will give my personal economy a small shot in the arm.

My second thought was to use it to pay my dentist, my dermatologist, and the plastic surgeon who removed a couple of "skin tags" from my face. (Never let a dermatologist get near you with a scalpel in hand.) I might have money left over to apply towards a new pair of contact lenses. None of those good doctors are Chinese. On the other hand, they might rush out and spend my money at Wal-Mart, or to repair their Mercedes or BMWs.

No, I am going to search diligently for American-made products sold by Americans. I almost had a heart attack a few months ago when I found an American-made pruning tool on sale at Sears. And, I just bought a new blazer, made in Chicago by Hart Schaeffner and Marx, the oldest American clothing maker. (Never mind those German-sounding names.)

You can see that I'm already well down the road to giving the American economy a shot in the arm.

What I cannot figure out is, how can we spend six gazillion dollars a month on an overseas war, send refund checks to taxpayers, and promise "no new taxes?" Oh, right. It's an election year, time for the politicians to perform sleight of hand behind blue smoke.

p.s. The national debt is now $9 trillion. That's $9,000,000,000. Enjoy that refund check.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually 9 trillion is 9,000,000,000,000. You were only off by a factor of 1,000.