Tuesday, February 13, 2007

ancestors

Let me introduce you to my great-grandfather. Born in 1832, he died when my father was two years old. He was a Kentucky man. I wish I could tell you his life story was a series of heroic deeds of pioneer days, but the best I can tell you is that he and his wife had eleven children over a span of 20 years and he supported his family by running a store. Considering the time and place, that's sounds heroic to me.

I didn't know this photo existed until yesterday. The original is in the possession of a distant cousin in Maryland. It was copied and distributed thanks to the magic of scanners and the Internet.

When I look at this photo on my monitor, enlarged to fill the screen, there seems to be a light in his eyes and he's looking directly at me. Click on the photo to enlarge it and tell me what you think.


No comments: