Tuesday, August 29, 2006

saying goodbye to an old friend

I've just deleted the 1998 version of Quicken. I had to. I want to try a little on-line banking using Quicken but my bank, the Second National Bank of London (Kentucky, that is) insists on my using a newer version. So, I've installed the 2007 version of Quicken Basic (a dollar cheaper than the 2006 version at the local Office Depot - go figure). I'm going to miss the 1998 version because it was so clean and simple.

Why do I bother mentioning this arcane trivia? Because, of all the computer programs, I like Quicken the best. It ranks up there with e-mail, genealogy software, and the things you can do with digital photos as being Really Good Reasons to Buy a Computer. I liked the first version I installed, designed to run on DOS. The 1998 edition has worked despite upgrading to Win98, Win2000, and WinXP, and despite changing the hard drive twice. It just plugs along like the trusty Timex watch, a time-consuming thing to update but so nice to have when April 15 rolls around every year.

My regular readers of this blog are going to roll on the floor laughing when they read this because they know their father is not exactly first in line when new technology comes out. But, hey, sometimes you've gotta catch up with the rest of the world.

No comments: