Friday, June 30, 2006

Dove Disney

I went to the Epcot Living Seas aquarium with some apprehension. I haven't been "wet" in a year, I'd be performing in front of an audience, and I'd be using somebody else's gear.

That apprehension ended when I stood on the platform, suited up, ready to take the plunge. Wow! Schools of fish. Rays, turtles, sharks, grouper, you name it. For an artificial environment, they've done a perfect job of recreating a real Living Sea. They told us they feed the sharks every two days and they'd fed them yesterday. They also said, if you see one coming, get out of his way because he will not get out of yours.

I got a little paranoid after realizing how easy it was for one to swim by before I noticed. For the little guys on the bottom, that was no problem but when I looked over my shoulder and saw the nose of their nine-footer maybe ten feet away, all I could think of was, which way can I go and how fast can I get there? But, no problem. They see divers every day and probably realize that divers taste like neoprene. (Surfers, who taste like coconut oil, are much more palatable.)

Other than that, our forty-five minutes in the water went by too quickly. To all my family who chipped in for this present, thank you!

No comments: