Saturday, October 29, 2005

our son turns 25

Every generation hopes that their children will do better than they did, and I'm proud to say our son is living up to that hope. His sisters are too, but yesterday was his big day: Now that he's reached the ripe old age of 25, his auto insurance rates ought to drop! But let's talk about generations here.

His grandfathers attended college. One got his degree. My father, by the time he was 25, had graduated from Eastern Kentucky, was teaching school in "Bloody Harlan" County, Kentucky, and hadn't met my mother yet. Grandfather Doyle started college at Michigan State, but went to work at the Ford plant in Lansing after the beginning of WWII. There he met and married Sally, and was seven weeks away from being the father of a little red-headed girl when he turned 25.

By the time I was 25 I'd finished college (Florida State) and two years of active duty in the Army. I was a first-year law student in Hogtown. . .er, Gainesville, Florida. I hadn't met my future wife yet, either.

Our son earned a bachelor's degree at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, found a great job in his major field with an aerospace company, and got married this summer to a wonderful young lady. How young? Two years younger, by my count, but that seems to be an inside joke.

His grandfathers would be proud. I am.

No comments: